Friday 5 February 2016

Patterns around us, Patterns within us

Patterns appear in nature and in creative works.  How do you use patterns?  How can patterns be used?

Patterns are not necessarily visual, they may also be templates for artifacts or activities or patterns of behavior. 

I see patterns in relation to creativity in 3 positive ways:

1. Patterns with which I am familiar and which I try to use in my work. For example, organizing a poetry collection or setting the plot of a novel to follow the "Hero's Journey."

2. Patterns that I had not known before that I discover and that inspire me. For example I saw repeating patterns in sheets of ice on the cliffs along the side of the road, so I had to paint them. Similarly I saw ripples in the moonlit water and painted the scene.

3. Patterns that are more esoteric or sacred to me that more broadly influence my creativity. In regression work and in accessing the superconscious mind, recurring patterns of labyrinths, spheres and points as well as specific ratios and numbers kept coming to me with such regularity that they have become powerful totems for me. I have worked with these patterns by trying to build systems of meaning for myself around them.

When we establish behavioral patterns, rituals or habits in our daily lives, they can be helpful, or they can get in the way of our success.  Modifying unwanted or counter-productive behaviors for self-improvement is what hypnotherapy is all about.  So consider the patterns that you have built in your own life as well as those around you.  Be inspired by the good ones.  Consider why you are carrying the baggage of those that are not so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment