Friday 1 January 2016

A New Year! More on Moss, Dreams and Connections

If you have not read Robert Moss, do so, just to amaze yourself at the connections he can show to your own dreams and personal experience. My dreams shift from those that are reflections of events of the day, to those with deeper meaning happening closer to the time I wake up. My mindfulness practice tends to sometimes allow my mind to wander into seeking the meaning behind what I dream. I was particularly struck by Moss’ description of approaching the ancient Temple of Dream Healing for its similarity to the beginning of Zen training. In seeking to learn from a Zen master, traditionally the student sits outside the monastic gateway and demonstrates that they are truly interested and dedicated to the pursuit of enlightenment until they are noticed and brought inside this “gateless barrier”. In my case this process was metaphorically achieved through an online application and subsequent interview process with a seemingly interminable waiting period. I recall that feeling of anticipation and impatience as I stumble forward through dream quests.

Two years ago, I undertook first degree Reiki training and experienced a confluence of imagery from dreams, and from regression work. During the workshop, after the master had completed my own attunement and moved on to another student, I distinctly felt a fatherly hand upon my head, whether in blessing or reassurance, I am not sure. It reminded me of specific experiences from one of my regressions and led me to a series of images that were so strong that they could have been the remnants of a dream. I subsequently conducted a self-regression and gained further insight into these images. All of this makes me think of Moss’s idea that we “can sometimes meet master teachers” in dreams. A quote by KekulĂ© reported by Moss seems to be especially true for me: “Let us learn to dream, gentlemen, then perhaps we shall find the truth.”

Keep on dreaming!

References

Amoroso, J. (2012). Awakening past lives. Virginia Beach, VA: 4th Dimension Press.

Hoshin, A. (1992). The bodymind of the way: Zen teachings on Dogen zenji's Shinjin Gakudo. Ottawa, Canada: Manuscript in preparation.

Moss, R. (2009). The secret history of dreaming. Novato, CA: New World Library.

Reed, H. (2005). Dream solutions! dream realizations!: The original dream quest guidebook. Mouth of Wilson, VA: Hermes Home Press.

Shibiyama, Z. (1974). The gateless barrier: Zen comments on the Mumonkan. Boston, MA: Shambhala Publications Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment